Wednesday, July 16, 2008

My Vanity Might Be The Death Of Me

I have been called high maintenance. Now, I don't really agree with that description of myself. It almost offends me. Actually, it does offend me because well, I'm not high maintenance. Case in point, I go to the gym in the morning in whatever outfit I can find. I don't care that my hair resembles a spray of water coming out of a blowhole. If I have to worry about looking good when I go to the gym, I have too much time on my hands. I don't always wear make up. In fact, I rarely wear it on the weekends unless I have to sing at church. I like to give my skin a break. I haven't even been wearing all my make up for quite some time. I've been skipping the eye liner and mascara a lot of times, I just wear foundation and bronzer, maybe a swipe of mascara if I remember to put it on. I think the last time I wore full make up was my last job interview. If I were high maintenance, I wouldn't do those things.

However, do let me point out I like to look good. I do get my hair cut and colored every six weeks, mostly because it is short and if I don't get it cut and colored it starts to become very difficult to fix. I do like fashion, too. I am not a clothes horse by any means, but I love to look at magazines and try to buy pieces that are timeless and things I can mix and use with things I already have in my closet. I get my nails done once a month and I can't pass up a good pedicure. I don't want to go around looking like a hot mess or a fashion victim. I just don't think I am completely obsessed.

This brings me to my big dilemma of the day. I went to have my nails done last night. I had noticed three months ago my hands got really red after I had my nails done, but I thought it was from the cuticle oil they used. So, the next time, I passed on the cuticle oil and I had no problems. Then, the last time I went, I made sure she didn't use the oil on me and I thought I was okay. Then, I woke up the next morning, and my hands were red and itchy. I was in agony. I tried putting on hydrocortisone cream which helped a little, but I kept itching and I thought my my hands were going to bleed because I kept scratching them so much.

Last night I made sure there was no cuticle oil and I put on lotion as soon as I finished. I thought I was okay, until I woke up at 4:30 with my fingers on fire. I was so tired I just went back to sleep and tried not to pay attention to my itching fingers. As the day went on, my fingers have gotten more red and the itching has intensified. I thought I was going to lose my mind. I tried to keep my hands busy so I wouldn't think about it. That worked for about five seconds. I finally called the doctor to see if I could have some benadryl and not have a drug reaction with another medicine I take. I got the green light on the medicine and I couldn't wait to get to the store and get something to give me some relief.

I finally got some benadryl, but so far, I am not feeling as much relief as I would like. I think my vanity might be the death of me. I might have to cut my fingers off if I don't stop itching. I don't know if I am allergic to the stuff they used on my nails or if it just from all the filing and stuff. Maybe it's just dry skin? Who knows, but if I don't stop itching, I am going to be in trouble. I don't think I can work without fingers. I sort of need them to type and all that jazz. Until next time, Diva Divine





My Poor Fingers! My Poor Hands! My Vanity Might Be The Death Of Me!

No comments: