Saturday, July 5, 2008

Attention: You are on thin ice!!

I had to stop at Target tonight to have my watch fixed. I have only managed to forget this for the last, oh I don't know, two weeks. Yes, my watch has been dead for two weeks and I finally managed to remember to stop today to have it fixed. Part of the reason I kept forgetting is because I haven't been wearing my watch. The other reason, well, I have been trying to save money and I haven't been going to Target because I have been known to drop several dollars there without even realizing it until I hit the checkout. Yes, staying away from Target is a good thing for my bank account.

I thought since I am starting my new job Thursday, I should get my watch fixed. I would look kind of foolish wearing a watch that didn't work. Not to mention I would be late for everything or I would have to keep my cell phone out all the time, since I have been using it for my clock since my watch croaked. I stopped at Target after Mass tonight. I went to the Target not far from my house because I like to shop locally. Okay, it was really on my way home. I went up to the counter and I used the little "I need a Target Associate" box.

Immediately, Adela, comes to help me. I tell her I need a new battery for my watch. "Did you watch here buy?" HUH? Adela doesn't speak English so well. Oh, did I buy the watch here? Yes, I bought it at a Target. This means they can change the battery for me. They only service watch brands which are sold at Target. So, Adela goes and looks for my battery while I look at all the funky jewelry. I can only look, not buy, so I couldn't get too attached. Adela starts ringing me up and I pay her for my battery. Then, I realize she didn't put the battery in my watch. It was just on the counter with my watch. Ummm, Adela, did you forget to do something? I give you my watch, you take the old battery out and replace it with the new battery and I go away a happy customer. What part of that equation did they not teach you in Target orientation?

She starts to walk off. Ummmm, excuse me, Adela, who obviously didn't get all the training in orientation, can you put the battery in my watch for me? I asked nicely. That's the whole reason I stopped at Target because they will change the battery. The back of my watch is very difficult to remove unless you have jewelers tools, which they have at Target, which is the whole reason I stopped there in the first place. This made Adela muy furioso. She was probably saying under her breath "Te di la batería. ¡Fijarla tú mismo muchacha blanca gorda!" She looks all flustered, like she has no clue what she is doing. So, she calls Penny (pronounced Pen Nay) over to help her out. Adela suddenly finds something else to do and leaves PenNay to fix my watch.

I can tell PenNay is not happy about fixing my watch. I am sure she is saying "Damn, honky, can't you fix yo own damn watch? You spect me to do it fo you, shoot girl, you lazy white gurl, you ain't good fer nuthin'." If I could change the battery by myself, I would gladly do it, but the back of my watch has to be pried off with a special jewelry tool I do not possess. Again, this is the whole reason I went to Target to get the watch fixed, because I bought it there and they will change the batteries for you.

Finally, PenNay gets the back off my watch and puts the new battery in. Then, she can't get the back put on again. It was quite an ordeal. I thought I might get a new watch out of the ordeal. I thought she was going to bust the face of my watch the way she was handling it. Somehow, by the grace of god, PenNay finally got the back on my watch and she sent me on my merry way. I am sure I was the talk of accessories when I left because PenNay and Adela were not happy to help me and I am sure they were discussing just how lazy I was for not fixing the watch myself.

This episode only makes me want to buy a "real" watch. I want to go to a jewelry store and pick out a real watch, something I can keep for a real long time, something timeless, elegant and costing more than $40.00 at Target. I would love to have a nice Tag Hauer or a David Yurman or a Cartier. Yes, I am dreaming, but it doesn't hurt a girl to dream. Until I can afford one of those, or I can find a man to bankroll it for me, I will have to stick to my cheap-o Timex. So, I just need to reitierate this point before I sign off: Attention Target Associates: You are on thin ice! Remember that the next time someone comes to get their watch fixed, Miss Adela and Miss PenNay! Okay, I'm done being mean...for now. Until next time, Diva Divine

No comments: