Monday, July 14, 2008

Adjusting to Non-School Life

Today was another day of firsts in my professional life. I went in to work, looking forward to working on my big project and meeting with my boss to discuss my progress. During our morning "huddle", this man came walking down the aisle toward us. I knew I recognized his face, but I couldn't think what is name was to save my soul. Then, he says "I came to meet Diva Divine!" Okay, are you my prince charming? I extend my hand and I realize who he is...He's the CEO of the company! Not my prince charming. Inside I felt like an idiot because I didn't realize immediately who he was, but then again, I had only seen his picture. They can't expect me to know everyone, I've only been there for two days.

Okay, after the encounter with the CEO, I go back to my desk and work on my project before my meeting. I had to run to the bathroom around 9:45 and my boss came in to the bathroom when I was washing my hands. She says to me "Do you mind if we start our meeting early? I have a really busy schedule and I need a latte in the worst way. Get your stuff together and we'll have our meeting." Okay, so we will meet and then you are going to Starbucks? I'm not following here. I'm a little dense, please forgive me. Then, the big light bulb goes off in my head...We are leaving to go to Starbucks and have our meeting there. OHMYGOSH!!! I am having a meeting at Starbucks like a person in the real business world!!! Holy Smoke! I have arrived!

I have to admit, leaving the building in the middle of the morning felt almost forbidden. Like we were sneaking out or something. But in the business world, it is perfectly acceptable to go to Starbucks and have a meeting. Had I known this prior to today, I would have left the teaching world long ago. When we were in line, my boss says "So, I bet you did this all the time when you were teaching, right? Just left the school, went out for Starbucks!" I told her,"Sure, I left the building all the time!" Some days I was lucky to even get the chance to go to the bathroom in peace and quiet, let alone get to go to Starbucks. I swear, I have arrived!

I continue to be astounded at the differences between my former career and my present career. I had lunch today in the office. My first two days, I went out to lunch so I could meet the people I work with, but today I brought my lunch. I have 45 minutes for lunch. I have never had 45 minutes for lunch in my whole life. I almost didn't know what to do with myself. I am so used to inhaling my food, standing up at the table, racing against the clock before I have to go pick up my students. Just being able to sit down and eat and enjoy my lunch was new to me. I didn't have to rush. It's so foreign to me, because for 11 years, I ate standing on my feet in front of a microwave, doing the pee-pants dance, hoping I could finish my lunch in time to make a pit stop at the bathroom before I had to get my students. Yet another reason I don't ever see myself going back to education.

When I got back from lunch, I had a present on my desk...my official business cards! Okay, they weren't a present, but to me they felt like a gift. I've never had business cards. I never had a need for them. Now, I can pass out my business cards like all the other business people! I feel important. Even if it's only in my own mind, I feel important.

I am still asking myself why it took me so long to leave the world of education. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy teaching for the first nine years. I never hated it, I just got to the point where I didn't love it anymore. I became a different person and the world of education changed. I wasn't ready to change with it and it was time to get out. I am glad I figured it out before I did hate teaching. I left with good memories and good experiences. I left on my own terms and that feels good. I really like what I am doing now, even when I have no clue what I am doing, I feel like I am doing something that I am proud of and makes me happy. That's the best feeling in the world. Until next time, Diva Divine

No comments: