Sunday, August 3, 2008

Not so faboo Friday

Today I am writing you from my new MacBook. I bet you are asking/wondering "Why do you have a MacBook and how did you afford it?" Yes, I did get a raise when I went to my new job, but not that big of a raise. Yes, I am saving money on gas because I live close to work, but not enough to afford a new computer. No, I am not dancing at Legg's Dungeon Lounge. I will cut to the chase. Let me take you back to Friday.
I was sitting in my little cubicle at work, reading some material from a video taped speech I had attended on Thursday. I had to sync what the person said in the interview with the materials we already have printed to determine what items he needs to take on the road with him when he gives speeches. Anyhow, around 4:05 my phone starts ringing. Normally, I would not answer my cell phone at work, but the number was my apartment complex and for some reason I felt compelled to pick up the phone. The person on the other line identifies herself as working for my apartment complex and I could tell something was wrong. She proceeds to tell me there is a problem. My downstairs neighbor, Cowboy Bob, came home around 3:00 to find his apartment had been burglarized. He immediately called the office and then realized all the doors of all the apartments in our building had been pried or were open. Then, he called the police. The person from the office said they didn't know if anything had been taken from my apartment, but Cowboy Bob had lost all his electronics. I was of course, trying not to flip out and all I could think was "What did they take?" She told me to come home and meet them at the apartment.
The five minute drive home felt like five hours. All that was running through my mind was "The extra set of keys to my car was hanging by the door!!" Then, I just kept reminding myself "It's only things that they took, and things can be replaced." I had to keep repeating that over and over. I also have insurance, which costs me so little every month I don't even realize it comes out of my account, but it saves me money on my car insurance and since you never know what could happen, it's good to have it on all the stuff in your apartment, too.
When I pulled into my apartment, the police were here and all the people in my building were standing outside. Cowboy Bob was out there with the other neighbor and one of the people from the apartment complex, who just happens to be Cowboy Bob's girlfriend. She says to me "They didn't take your television or DVD player. I don't think they took anything from your apartment. But you should go check."
It was not fun to walk into the building and see your door with a big dent in it and wood splinters all over the floor. The perps had used a pry bar to literally rip the doors open. The door frame in my apartment has splintered and the paint around the door frame was ripped off the wall! I knew before I walked into my apartment that my laptop was gone. Seriously, if you took the time to nearly take out a wall and you didn't take my television or DVD player, you took my laptop that was sitting on the couch.
I looked at the powerstrip on the floor before I looked on the couch...the power cord was gone and so was the laptop it was attached to. Rotten stinkin' criminals! They didn't take the printer or the wireless router. I had DVD's on the table and in my cabinet. Nope, they only had time to take the laptop. The keys to my car were hanging on the hooks next to the door. All they wanted was the laptop.
I stayed calm, which is big for me. I have been known to just lose it from time to time. I got on the phone, called the insurance company, started the claims process and waited for the police to come and take my report. He told me they wouldn't be able to dust for prints because the laptop was on the couch and they doubted they touched anything else. Plus, when they cleaned out Cowboy Bob, they had touched his cable box and remote and a few other things, so they were going to use those surfaces because they could get good prints. I got my case number and the police told me they would be in touch.
The criminals took the flat screen television from Cowboy Bob's apartment, his Wii game console, games, DVD's, and his clothes basket with the clothes still in it!!! They used his tools to take this television off the stand! We figure they used the clothes basket to carry the stuff out and the clothes to cover it all up. The apartment next to mine was vacant and the other downstairs neighbors have a dog, which started to bark when they tried to pry open the door, so they didn't try to get in.
I felt so violated and dirty. I kept thinking "someone was here and they saw all my stuff....what if they come back?" You can imagine all the stuff that goes through your mind. Of course, I had left two bra's on my couch that morning!!! Some creep saw my bra's when he took my laptop...yuck! Of course, I was worried about what was on my computer. You can't imagine the stuff you save on there. Then, I remembered something. I had a password on my computer that you had to enter in order to access the programs. I had shut my computer before I went to bed on Thursday. The criminals couldn't use my computer unless they could figure out my password, so it was useless to them. Plus, a lot of the keys had the letters rubbed off because I used it so much. The battery needed to be replaced and didn't hold a charge for over an hour and a half. Then, it was all sort of funny. They got a laptop that was useless and I have insurance which will pay for some of the replacement cost of a new computer. So, the only thing the perp got that was good was a peek at my two bra's. Hope that made their day because when they went to use the computer, they were probably cussing me a blue streak! Serves them right! Crime doesn't pay!
I did not stay at my apartment Friday...it just felt too weird. My mom came and picked me up and took me home with her. Then, we came back up here today to talk with the leasing office, which is another story in and of it's self. I am not sure I want to stay here because I don't feel safe and I don't want to be reminded of this every day. I feel like the people probably had been watching us and they knew we were all gone for the day. I hate looking over my shoulder all the time and thinking "are they keeping track of what I do and will they come back?" So, we went to look at apartments. I am also considering installing an alarm system no matter where I live. Crime is everywhere, but if you have an alarm or a barking dog, the perps tend to run away and leave your stuff alone.
Good news is both, the neighbor and I had insurance and no one was hurt. Our things can be replaced, but had one of us walked in, who knows what would have happened. The police are working the case so we will see what happens. I am going to hide my laptop everyday when I go to work. I just hope they catch t he people and they get some time out of it! So, that is why I have a MacBook. If I don't get to bed now, I might fall asleep with it on my lap. Good night to all! Until next time, Diva Divine

No comments: