Friday, May 9, 2008

When I Grow Up....

I have come to a crossroads in my life. For the last eleven years I have been a teacher. I finally figured out, after eleven years, that I don't want to be a teacher anymore. Some people don't really understand this. I guess after being in the same field for so long, people automatically assume you love what you have been doing and why on earth would you want to change it now? People think teaching is the easiest job on earth. You get three months off, all you have to do is go in and teach these little kids all day and life is great. Well, let me tell you, it's not like that at all. You never get away from your job when you are a teacher. You have to take papers home all the time, you have to deal with kids who don't want to be at school and who talk back to you all the time, you deal with parents and you never get away from it. It follows you home and it is a never ending. I think eventually it got to me and that is why I finally figured out I had to stop teaching.

So, what does a person do after they stop teaching? That is what I am trying to figure out right now. I would love to be able to sit at home and write a book, but that is probably not going to happen since they don't pay you to write books until you have actually published one. Since I am quite fond of my living arrangement, I like having a car and food, I don't think I can be an author full time. I would love to be able to have my own line of greeting cards. I'd call it "Divine Diva Design". Again, I don't know of anyone who would pay me to make greeting cards, except for Hallmark. I'm fairly certain they don't have any offices here in the Metropolis.

This has led me to look at the field of fundraising. Yeah, you know like going out and asking people to give money for a cause. I think the reason why I am so drawn to fundraising is because I want a job that isn't the same every day. Something that will help other people and help something to grow. I think I would be good at it because I have the ability to convince people to do things. I mean seriously, I've been doing that for the last eleven years, except I had to convince kids to learn, now I'd just have to convince people to give me some of their dough so the organization I would be working for could provide services for people. I don't think that would be too hard.

So, I am looking for a new job, a new vocation. Until then, I might be working at Starbucks so I can support my spending habits. It's Starbucks or pole dancing....umm, with my saggy 80 year old elephant skin, I think pole dancing is out. Until next time, Diva Divine

No comments: