Sunday, May 25, 2008

Playing Dress Up

I've been suit shopping the last two days. It has not been the most fun shopping experience of my life. First, it's hard to find a suit that isn't just black and boring. I am not one to subscribe to the "everyone must wear a black suit to an interview" idea. I really wanted to wear brown or something with a pinstripe in it. Okay, it's not so easy to find something that isn't just ordinary and right now is not the time to shop for suits. The newest idea in suiting is Capri's and Walking Shorts. That's fine if you are already hired and your company lets you wear those things, but I can't wear that to an interview. I was ready to just give up because it was hard to find what I wanted.

Well, I kept searching, ending up at Ann Taylor Loft (Ann and I are pals...hahaha). Thankfully, they were having a sale on suit separates. If you bought the jacket and the pants or skirt, you saved 30%. Since I am of the thinking "Never pay full price" I was more than happy to search through all the racks to find what I wanted.

As I was trying on all these suits, I kept feeling like I was a little kid playing dress up. I've never had to wear a suit for an interview. I've never owned a suit. I've never needed a suit. Teachers don't need suits. People in the corporate world do. It was a little weird looking at myself wearing a suit, looking all professional. I was playing dress up.

Finally, I settled on a black jacket and skirt. I bought a blouse to go under the jacket that is "Strawberry" colored. I didn't want to wear white, I needed something that was bright and might make the suit look less boring. I wanted something that was a little more representative of me as a person. I like color and I needed something in this suit that made it more me.

So, I have my suit for my big interview Thursday. I still think it looks like I am playing dress up when I see myself in the outfit. I have to get over that feeling so I can be ready for Thursday. Until next time, Diva Divine

No comments: