Sunday, September 7, 2008

Scary!!! Pageant Queens abound!

I am watching "Painted Babies at 17" on TLC. The show is a documentary about little girls who compete in pageants. The original show aired in 1995 and now they have gone back to interview two girls who were only five when the first filming. I couldn't imagine being up on a stage and being objectified by people. It's kind of creepy. But I guess if they love doing it, why not. However, I have to say that someone needs to tell these girls just because you are cute, doesn't mean you can sing. Seriously, being off key and scream-singing might be cute when you are three or four, but not at 17. That isn't talent, it's annoying.

Then, you have this scary emcee named Tim. He gives me the creeps just seeing him on television and I wouldn't see how he doesn't creep out the parents and the kids. How can you honestly tell people "I emcee little girl's beauty pageants for a living." Hello, that would send up a red flag and sound the weird-o alarm. He might really be a nice guy, but his spontaneous renderings of songs scares me shitless. He should just go work on a cruise ship because at least that would not be as weird as working as a pageant emcee and he would probably make a whole lot more money.

Why is it that all the girls have to look like Barbie with a smile permanently plastered on their faces? I don't think I have ever smiled that much in my life. The only time I came close was during sorority rush. My face hurt for a week afterward. Also, the girls in these pageants have Barbie Blonde hair and the hair has to be BIG. All the girls have big hair, no matter their age. It's like they are little trolls whose bodies grow out of this big mass of hair. Maybe that is the secret. You have to start life as a little ball of hair and your body just grows from there? Maybe that is how they stay so thin? Maybe they can smile so much because their hair is pulled so tight and has so much hairspray in it so it doesn't move when they go on stage and change outfits.

So, I have been scared to death I hope I don't have nightmares. I will say if the kids like going to the pageants and competing then why not do it? Just as long as they like doing it and it's fun for them. However, I think some of them are doing it to keep their parents happy and the parents are living their lives through their kids. To each their own. Until next time, Diva Divine

No comments: