Saturday, September 13, 2008

I swear this happened! It's too good to make it up

(setting: 6:45, Monday evening.....lobby of the nursing home)

Diva sits at the front desk, editing The Leadership Guide on her kick ass MacBook while Larry, the night maintenance guy, vacuums the main dining room.
The phone rings, the Diva picks it up

Diva: Good evening, thank you for calling (insert the nursing home name here).
Caller: Yes, I was wondering if you were hiring RN's at this time? Is there someone there I could talk to about a position?
Diva: Yes we are currently hiring RN's and LPN's, but Kim, who you would need to talk to about the position, is already gone for the day. You are more than welcome to stop in and pick up an application. I will be here until 7:30 this evening and our daytime receptionist will be in at 8:30. You can come and pi ck up an application and..... (caller interrupts Diva..she interrupted the Diva!!!)
Caller: I would like to do that however (Diva knows she is going to hear a good story now....) with the price of gas being so high, I was hoping to talk with someone and do a phone interview instead.
Diva sits with her mouth agape.....she is speechless....did this lady just say she can't come in and get an application because gas is too expensive?...surely, my ears were mistaken.
Diva: I can give you Kim's voicemail and she will be in tomorrow. Would you like me to connect you to her voicemail? (Diva is still stunned at the audacity of some people)
Caller: Yes, I would like her voicemail.
Diva: Thank you, I will transfer you to her voicemail.
Diva transfers the line to voicemail and has to physically close her mouth before the residents families mistake her for a resident who got off the ward and they try to admit her.

I am not making this up...this really did happen. I wonder how she was going to be able to come to an interview if she couldn't afford to drive to pick up an application. How was she going to come to work if she got the position? Did she think we were going to send the residents to her?? Oh, for the love of Pete, the audacity of people just slays me. I bet if I told her we would bring the application to her, she would have taken me up on the offer. Better yet, I should have offered to fill the application out for her via the phone....

On a happy note....one of our residents, Opal, turned 103 today! She lived alone until last year when she started to suffer from dementia...I swear the lady doesn't look a day over 70. She looks better than some 50 year olds I know....I want to look that good if I ever make it to 103! She went out to dinner with her nephew and she looked more like his sister than his aunt! I think Opal has been living right! Happy Birthday, Miss Opal!!! Until next time, Diva Divine

No comments: